Folk-art was the origin of the Frieden jewellery factory founded in 1898,
the year Emil Frieden opened a modest workshop in the Emmental.
He produced fine hand-crafted silver jewellery for traditional folk-costumes and soon the reputation of the Frieden company expanded to other regions of Switzerland. Therefore, it became necessary to extend the premises and the workshops were moved to Thun in 1908. In the 1930’s, Emil’s sons Eugen and Willy created the first jewellery designs in 18K gold.
In 1954, Frieden was among the founding members of the jewellery-pavilion of the Basel Jewellery Show and gradually, the next Frieden generation Heinz and Thomas built a manufacturing and wholesale company into today’s supplier of hundred’s of retail jewellers all over the world. In 1989, Heinz Frieden retired and René Lauper was appointed director. In 1996, the family-owned company was legally incorporated into a limited company.
Swiss precious-metal-laws require all manufacturers to mark their jewellery with a logo to guarantee the gold content. Frieden’s magpie also guarantees the quality of coloured stones, diamonds and cultured pearls as described in their documents.